YOGA KITCHEN & CO.: Potato, Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
MOVEMENT & FOOD, THE GREAT UNITER.
Yoga Kitchen & Co. wrapped it's third installment on Sunday, January 29, 2017. We gathered in a beautiful space in DUMBO (Brooklyn, New York) to move the body, plant seeds to grow our dreams, goals for 2017 with a vision board party and to nourish our body with something that's healthy, tasty and inexpensive. For less than 20 bucks, this easy to whip up soup can feed four in just a hour. Plus it's rich in vitamins, minerals, a good source of potassium, dietary fiber and so much more. It's a great winter dish that could easily be enjoyed all year-round.
- 5 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 5 cups chopped cauliflower (fresh or frozen)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water, or more as needed to cover
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 10 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 shallots, diced (or any other onion type)
- 1 tablespoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
Optional toppings: olive oil and/or fresh scallions or fresh parsley
- Lightly saute the garlic and shallots in the sesame oil
- Stir broccoli and cauliflower, vegetable broth, water, and potatoes together in a large pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir in salt, white pepper, and thyme. Cover pot and simmer until potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower are soft, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mash potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower mixture using an immersion blender or potato masher until pureed.
- Bring pureed soup to a simmer for about 30 minutes. This is the step where the flavors mingle and the consistency improves. Adjust salt, pepper, and thyme to taste. Top with your preference of a light drizzle of olive oil and/or fresh scallions or fresh parsley.